ChatGPT is an AI language model developed by Open AI, based on GPT 3.5. Its full form is Chat Generative pre-trained transformer. GPT 3.5 is a powerful language model which helps to stimulate the human-machine interface with the help of machine learning algorithms. ChatGPT is a natural language processing tool that generates an appropriate response to queries.
It is much more advanced than a chatbot that is designed to interact with humans in a conversational style. What sets it apart from other search engines like Google is it presents information gathered from various sources and presents it conversationally, whereas Google only displays links to websites based on the search. It responds accurately in dialogue format when asked questions about various topics. For using ChatGPT properly you must know about its capabilities and limitations.
Capabilities of ChatGPT
- Conversational abilities – ChatGPT possesses conversational abilities to stimulate human-like interactions and has interactive and dynamic conversations with the user. ChatGPT uses a deep learning model that helps to understand and interpret the context of a conversation after considering the current as well as previous user input. By taking into account the previous messages, and context, it generates more natural and engaging conversation and maintains a sense of continuity. It also maintains conversation history for understanding and responding appropriately to user queries and provides meaningful and contextually relevant responses.
- Adapt and improve ability – ChatGPT can learn, adapt and improve its results based on users’ feedback and corrections. It can recognize patterns and use the information gained from previous interactions to improve its responses in future conversations. The fine-tuning process also helps to make the responses more accurate and aligned according to the queries.
- Creative writing ability – ChatGPT is capable of generating creative and engaging text based on patterns and examples learned from pre-training. It can help with storytelling and generate plot ideas, character development and even entire storylines. It can also generate interesting and thought-provoking prompts, and poetry and offer creative ideas and structure for your poetic compositions. It can also offer variations and suggestions for helping you with different styles of writing.
- Information on a wide range of topics- ChatGPT has the ability to provide information on a variety of topics. It can provide general knowledge and factual information about historical events, geographic locations, politics, social topics and more. It also helps in providing a concise or detailed explanation of various terms, concepts and processes for better understanding. You can also generate statistical information, trivia, facts, and specific data points also.
- Basic maths and computational abilities – ChatGPT also have the ability to perform basic maths and computational queries. It includes arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. It can explain basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry or other mathematical concepts.
- Improve your learning ability – ChatGPT can be really helpful for learning new skills. You can learn many things such as new words, terminologies as well as story-writing abilities. For example, if you want to learn about writing skills, then you can provide your written story or paragraph to the ChatGPT and ask it to rewrite according to your favourite writing style. After getting the response to compare your text with this for better understanding. It will also help improve the language, and add expressions for making it more engaging. It can also help you understand many complicated topics, for instance, if you are reading a book full of jargon, you can paste the text in the ChatGPT for easy understanding of the language.
Limitations of ChatGPT
- Inaccurate and inappropriate response- Sometimes ChatGPT produces text that may sound convincing, but it is inaccurate. It happens because of a phenomenon called “Hallucination” which is common in language models. As ChatGPT learns from the data it is trained on, it can generate results that can be biased, inappropriate or prejudiced. Also, it doesn’t provide references or citations when comes to obtaining information.
- Lack of real-time knowledge – ChatGPT’s training data is current up until September 2021 or earlier. That is the reason it may not provide information about the recent events, discoveries or developments that have occurred after that time period. Considering this limitation of not providing the most up-to-date information, users should keep in mind that results provided by ChatGPT may not always be useful and updated.
- Only receive input in text form – ChatGPT receives information in text form only. It doesn’t have the ability to understand or interpret inputs in other formats such as audio, video, images or URLs.
- Lack of the ability to handle personal or sensitive information – ChatGPT should not be relied on to handle personal or sensitive information. It doesn’t possess the ability to store, recall or access personal data, designed to prioritize user privacy and data protection. That is the reason why one should avoid providing personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, security numbers, and financial details.
- Inability to understand the context – ChatGPT has the inability to understand context properly, especially emotional, social, sarcasm and humour in the conversation. Although it is proficient in language processing, it interprets the literal meaning of the words and sentences rather than grasping the emotions and nonverbal cues of human communication that can influence the tone and meaning of the conversation. That is the reason why ChatGPT may provide inappropriate or irrelevant responses that can lead to misunderstandings or misinterpretations.
- Biased response – ChatGPT learns from the data for training, which can sometimes include biases present that can create unintentionally biased or prejudiced responses.