The COVID-19 Pandemic has turned the Restaurant industry upside down. It pressurizes the Restaurant industry to adapt to the new changes. Basically, this industry is related to food consuming marketplace. It allows customers to dine in, food orders, etc. Formal restaurants, Fast food restaurants, and Chain restaurants are all part of the Restaurant Industry.
There is great news for the industry as there is a double-digit increase in sales; however, sales are still below the pre-pandemic era. The kind of instability caused by the pandemic has led to restaurants investing in technologies that can reduce labor costs, carrying costs, etc. New and innovative practices like contactless menus and payments as well as ordering systems are adapted by the restaurants.
2022 is bringing more changes to the Restaurant Industry. Consumer expectations are also changing and evolving now. For example, now customers expect every restaurant to have contactless menus. Your restaurants have to cope with the new trends of the restaurant industry for retaining customers and attracting new ones. Analysis of industry trends and evolution according to these trends can help restaurants to grow their business in the long run. It is basically about how the restaurants are providing their customers with the best experience.
Here are the top Restaurant Industry trends in 2022
1. Convenient Menu – Menus plays a really effective role in the growth of restaurants of every size and type. Restaurants list many items on the menu for making something for everyone. However, according to the new restaurant industry trend focusing on shortening the menu will help restaurants specialize in profitable dishes. A short and simple menu will result in high-quality food, decreased food cost and food wastage. Redesigning the menu will help you to improve the overall availability and food quality. It will help the chefs to master a few dishes that will make your restaurant stand out.
Healthier food options – Customers are now becoming really health conscious and prefer healthy meals. Many consumers are even willing to pay higher prices for healthy foods. Introducing healthier food items specific to health-conscious customers is the new trend in the restaurant industry.
QR code menu – Many restaurants are now avoiding paper menus and started using QR code menus that are safe and more convenient to use. Customers just have to scan the QR code menu from the sticker placed on the table in the restaurant. QR code menus provide information about the menu items, payment options, delivery procedure and cost, restaurant history, etc.
2. Online Food Ordering – The pandemic has accelerated the online food ordering trend to a great extent. Nowadays it is really hard to imagine a world without online food ordering. Many big food giants like UberEats, Zomato, Swiggy, Foodpanda, etc. are dominating the online food delivery industry. Customers can enjoy their favorite food at the convenience of their home, than risking going out. Restaurants can also reduce their food wastage and get important customer data that can help them increase their efficiency. It is the fastest growing restaurant industry trend in the last two years.
According to many reports food delivery market has gained a big part of the restaurant industry, especially after the covid-19 pandemic. The online food ordering trend is here to stay as many restaurants are continuing their online food ordering services. However many small restaurants and start-ups have realized to make their own online food delivery app. They should develop their app from an experienced mobile app development company.
3. Green Kitchens – Consumers are now also concerned about environmental issues related to plastic wastage and pollution in the food and beverage industry. Green kitchens and eco-friendly kitchens are the new trends in the restaurant industry.
It basically focuses on recycling and reusing the leftovers. Other steps include more use of biodegradable wares such as paper straws, wax paper cups instead of plastic straws, cups, plastic bags, lids, etc. For example, as a contribution to environmental protections, Starbucks has taken a decision to exclude plastic straws from its process.
4. Automation – Automation of different aspects of restaurants can be really beneficial for their growth. Optimizing daily restaurant operations with automation tools can revolutionize restaurants. It can help them to save time and increase the effectiveness of the restaurants. The Automation trend is evolving day by day in the restaurant industry which results in low operational costs, boosted productivity, and an increase in customer service.
It also includes marketing automation which allows restaurants to reach out to the guests at the right time for building better relationships with the customers. POS system software helps restaurants to control finances, changes in the menu, and reduction in costs. Basically, automation helps in increasing the customer’s experience by focusing on more important strategies rather than giving more time to repetitive tasks. An effective automation system will help your restaurant improve its operations and increase revenue.
5. Ghost Kitchens- Ghost Kitchens are also a hot trend in the restaurant industry. A Ghost kitchen is a restaurant that works without any dining space. These are mostly operated in less built-up areas where property lease prices are really high which makes it hard for opening a profitable restaurant with dining space. With no service staff working in restaurants can enjoy lower overhead costs.
Some ghost kitchen restaurants even have a small pick-up from where customers can grab their food by themselves. They may also use third-party delivery services or directly provide their own food delivery services. Creating a user-friendly website or a food delivery app for the restaurant is the key to ghost kitchens. They should opt for an experienced mobile app development company.
6. Providing new experiences – Implementing new strategies and customer engagement activities can be really beneficial for boosting customer engagement and loyalty. It includes loyalty programs, needs, and preferences insights which increase the customer experience that lead to an increase in sales. Strategies like subscription and membership, meal and cocktails kits selling and virtual tastings can help increase customer service also. These fresh initiatives can help increase the customer experience that is dining in or using the takeout option.
7. Data Insights – Data analysis is one of the most important tools for the success of any business. The restaurant industry can also get useful insights into their customer’s preferences and likes by analyzing the data. This recent trend in the restaurant industry can help keeping the track of customers’ total spending, preferences, history, feedback, etc. This data can be really beneficial for providing a customized experience to the customer based on their preferences. This plethora of information can also help build a better relationship with the customer.
There are various new systems that automate the data collection process. These systems help collect information about customers’ history, feedback, number of visits, likes, etc. Providing a personalized experience based on data analysis leads to an increase in customer loyalty and customer retention also.
8. Smart technology for managing staff shortage – Many restaurants are facing staff shortage that affects the efficiency of restaurants. Smart restaurant technology is the new trend in the restaurant industry. It includes an online ordering and delivery system, online delivery apps, and online payment options to customers which help to maintain efficiency in the situation of shortage of staff. Vending machines and self-serve bars can also reduce the dependence on staff and reduce overhead costs also.
Conclusion – The restaurant industry is going through significant changes. After the Pandemic restaurants need to re-examine their business aspects for competing in the market. Identifying and implementing trends in the restaurant industry in 2022 will help the restaurants to improve their overall efficiency and customer experience.